Healthy Snacks for a Day at the Beach
Summer is Almost Here!
There is a certain amount of planning that takes place when one is gearing up for a day of fun and sun. Sunscreen, beach chair, bathing suit, umbrella, hat, cold drinks, cooler, reading materials and tasty, healthy snacks are a must, whether you are gearing up for a day of beach reading or more active beach play. One thing is for certain, though, nobody likes feeling bloated and stuffed in their bathing suit, so we want to share our recommendations for healthy snacks that are beach-friendly for your upcoming summer outings.
7 Healthy Snacks for Your Beach Bag
There is nothing better than sitting with your toes in the sand and listening to the sound of waves crashing onto the shore. I could sit there all day, but only if I am well prepared with some tasty beach eats. Some of my favorites include:
- Raw Veggies – Cut up some cucumber slices, bell pepper, celery and carrots. They are packed with vitamins and nutrients to keep your body strong and healthy. Plus veggies are a great source of water to keep you hydrated. Eat your veggies on their own or bring some hummus or natural salad dressing for dipping.
- Dried Fruit and Nuts – It’s salty, it’s sweet, it might be the perfect snack. Mix it up and try out new combinations of unsalted nuts, dried fruits and seeds. Full of protein and antioxidants, this snack is nutrient-rich. Don’t be tempted to add chocolate chips or you could end up with a mess on a hot day. We have some tasty and interesting varieties from okra chips, green bean chips, banana chips, dried paprika and more!
- Fresh Fruit – The cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon (season's first: Seeded, Black Seedless and Seedless) are looking particularly good at Farmview Market this week, but don’t overlook berries, apples, and other fruit that will keep you refreshed.
- Edamame - Shelled or un-shelled, this bean is the perfect snack for the sand. Rich in fiber, protein and energy-boosting carbs, Edamame makes great beach-day noshing.
- Popcorn – Popcorn is a great way to get your whole grains. Of course, we’re talking about the air popped kind, not the movie-theater style which is popped in fat and drenched in butter. In fact, one of the great things about popcorn is that you can use almost anything in your spice rack to add more flavor without adding calories. Add cinnamon or apple pie spice for a sweet treat. Go spicy with hot sauce, wasabi, or curry.
- Cheese - Pair whole grain crackers with cheese sticks or wedges, our Rock House Creamery cheese curds for a serving of protein and a little fat. Look for individually wrapped cheese making them easier to pack and eat.
- Water – Perhaps most important is water. Sitting in the sun all day can quickly leave you dehydrated, and accidentally swallowing half the ocean when you go out to jump waves isn’t going to get the job done. Freeze a few water bottles and toss them into your cooler. They’ll keep the rest of your food cold and will stay chilled long enough for you to enjoy. Bored with plain water? Mix it up with sparkling water or infuse it with fruit. Farmview has some really unique and refreshing water products from sparkling, like Georgia Grown Montane flavored sparkling waters like Cucumber Lime and Meyer Lemon Honeysuckle. To alkaline water to Karma Wellness Water with Probiotics - try it in Pineapple Coconut and Blueberry Lemonade.
A splurge every now and then won’t hurt you, but arming yourself with healthy snacks at the beach will make you less susceptible to the smell of boardwalk fries or the sound of the ice cream truck approaching. Plus, you won’t have to break the bank or leave your beach chair.
This summer, as you're planning your trip to the beach, remember Farmview Market is the perfect pitstop all of healthy snack options from Just Clean Cooking's Granola, Oats, Honey, Seed & Raisins, or veggie and dried fruit chips, or fruit & nut mixes from Creative Snacks, or Chad's Carolina Corn's popular Kettle Corn. We've got your tasty beach treats covered!