Bakery-Style Apple Cinnamon Crumble Muffins
Happy apple season! Nothing says fall quite like the cozy flavors of cinnamon and apple, seeping out of these delicious bakery-style jumbo muffins. Complete with a sweet and crunchy cinnamon sugar crumble, these muffins are one of the best ways to bring in the fall season.
Whether you’re on your way back from a U-Pick adventure in the North Georgia mountains or you grabbed some of our locally-grown apples during your last stop at Farmview Market, these muffins are a great way to bring the flavors of fall into your home!
- ⅓ a cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ¼ a cup of unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ a cup of all-purpose flour (scooped & leveled)
- 1 and ¾ cups of all-purpose flour (scooped & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ a teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of milk (any kind), room temperature
- ¾ cup of Granny Smith Apples, peeled & finely chopped
- ¾ cup of Honeycrisp Apples, peeled & finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Spray a 6-count muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with cupcake liners. To get the bakery feel, use tulip-style muffin liners. You may need a second pan, as this recipe yields more than 6 jumbo muffins, but you can also make regular sized ones, if you’d prefer!
- To make the crumble topping, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Stir in your melted butter, then gently mix in small amounts of the flour with a fork. Keep your mixture thick and as large crumbles. Do not overmix. Set aside.
- To make the muffins, whisk your flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (fitted with a paddle), or a hand mixer, beat your butter and both light brown sugar and granulated sugar together until smooth and creamy. Once well incorporated, add in your eggs, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed. Next, slowly add in your dry ingredients into the dry and beat until no air pockets remain. Once all flour has been mixed in, use a scraper to carefully fold in your chopped and peeled apples.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each liner, filling completely. Once spooned into the liners, carefully add your crumble mixture to the top. To ensure proper placement during baking, lightly press the crumble mixture into the batter.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes at 425F, then bake for an additional 15-20 minutes at 350F. To see if the muffins are done, check the center with a wooden toothpick. If it comes out of the muffin clean, then they are ready!
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes.